Chronic Hip Pain Specialist Doctors NYC
Chronic hip pain patients visit Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates seek various treatment from our best in class hip pain specialist doctors to treat their hip pain including pain medication, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, physical therapy, and other conservative and effective treatments.
There is a fluid-filled sac, called a bursa, outside the point on your hip where the thigh bone connects to your pelvis. The sac provides easy, painless motion. Except when it doesn’t. In Manhattan, one of the most common forms of hip pain is when this bursa becomes inflamed or irritated.
Chronic hip pain, technically called trochanteric bursitis, usually is caused by overuse or using improper techniques in some sports or jobs. Differences in the length of your legs also can cause this kind of irritation, as can improper posture.
Your NYC pain management specialist diagnoses your chronic hip pain when you describe various common symptoms that include:
- Pain when you are lying on the affected side
- Pain when walking up stairs
- Pain that appears both on the outside of your hip and the top of your thigh bone
- Pain in your hip and buttock on one side
- Pain when you touch that side of your hip
- Pain that gets worse when you get up from sitting down or upon exiting a car
Giving your pain management doctor a thoroughly detailed description can help with a diagnosis. Pointing out the exact location of your pain also guides your treatment options. When the pain meets one of the criteria above, it’s usually due to trochanteric bursitis, but hip pain also could come from another area in your body altogether, such as your lower back or your knees.
Hip to the Hip Pain
There are a number of factors that go into the many different cases of chronic hip pain. Avoiding certain activities that cause you pain certainly helps alleviate your discomfort. Common causes can include:
- Arthritis or scoliosis that leads to a crooked spine; bad posture for many years increases your chances of developing the condition
- Abusive activities that often lead to hip bursitis include walking up and down stairs all day, standing for long periods of time and running
- A direct hit to the bursa sac in an accident can cause trochanteric bursitis
- Calcium deposits or bone spurs that break down the tendons is another common cause
- Bursitis can occur as the result of an infection in the bursa, gout, thyroid disease or psoriasis
Tell your pain management doctor right away if you have a fever or if the area has become red and swollen. When your pain interferes with your everyday activities, you may want to consider all the options your doctor suggests. These can include:
- Corticosteroid injections directly into the bursa sac for immediate relief
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen
- Splinting and physical therapy to train you on proper posture and to strengthen surrounding muscle groups to better support your lower body
- Surgery to replace the hip when all else fails
There is always a way to treat chronic hip pain - this condition is treatable and the doctors of Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates will get you out of pain.
Get the Relief You Need
At Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates , you’ll get the chronic hip pain management and care you need to reduce or eliminate your acute or chronic hip pain. Because when you’re in pain — whether it’s from an accident, age or ailment — you want relief. Appropriate and targeted chronic hip pain management and treatment starts with a proper diagnosis from your NYC hip pain management doctor.
Your NYC hip pain management doctor’s goal is to get you back to your normal routine with minimal downtime. After your diagnosis is confirmed, your doctor begins your treatment plan with the most conservative pain relief treatment. You’ll always receive non-invasive pain relief before your doctor turns to more invasive procedures like surgery.
Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates
51 East 25th St, 4th Floor, Ste B
New York, NY 10010