Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates: Rheumatoid Arthritis
At Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates you will get the rheumatoid arthritis diagnosis, pain management, and doctor’s care you need to reduce or eliminate your rheumatoid arthritis pain. Because when you’re in pain — whether it’s from an accident, age, or ailment — you want diagnosis and pain relief quickly. Appropriate and targeted rheumatoid arthritis pain management and treatment starts with a proper diagnosis from your NYC neck pain management doctor.
A host of advances have been made for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). It doesn’t have to be the crippling disease that it once was — especially if you get a diagnosis early. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that’s triggered by a defect in your body’s defense systems.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic disorder that attacks the joint lining and leads to painful swelling and inflammation. Our pain management center in NYC offers a wide variety of treatment options to relieve arthritis pain and to keep disease under control as much as possible. Arthritis doctors at NYC Pain and Sports Associates are among the best in the region.
The chronic inflammatory disorder typically begins in the smaller joints of your feet and hands. It can eventually move into other areas of your body — such as your lungs, skin, eye and blood vessels. RA can start at any age, but women tend to develop it more often than men, especially between the ages of 40 and 60.
Telltale Signs of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis can be difficult to diagnose because it mimics other conditions. Your NYC pain management doctor can help you relieve your symptoms by providing latest rheumatoid arthritis pain management options, but to reach a conclusive diagnosis, you may have to undergo a series of blood tests to find the telltale signs that could include:
- Certain antibodies in your system
- The rheumatoid factor
- Confirmation of distinctive inflammation
While there is no definitive test for RA, the earlier it’s detected, the better chance you have of fighting the onset of symptoms, such as:
- Fever, fatigue and weight loss
- Warm, tender swollen joints in your hands and feet
- Stiffness upon waking that lasts for hours
- Small bumps, or rheumatoid nodules, that appear under the skin on your arms
The cause of rheumatoid arthritis is not known. Genes are thought to play a role in developing the autoimmune disease, but ongoing research still has not come up with definitive answers.
Taking Care of Yourself
While there isn’t a cure for rheumatoid arthritis, you can take steps to reduce your pain with the help of your Manhattan pain management specialist. Another positive step is changing some of your lifestyle habits to accommodate your condition.
Pain treatment for arthritis may consist of:
- Narcotic pain medications and anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen
- Anti-rheumatic drugs that slow the disease’s progression
- Steroids to reduce inflammation
- Biologic response modifiers, a new class of drugs that target the immune system
- Occupational therapy / Physical Therapy
Taking care of yourself is vital once you understand your condition.
- Gentle exercise can help strengthen the muscles surrounding your joints and relieve some of the pressure they face.
- Maintaining your optimal weight also is important to relieve the pressure on your joints.
- Relaxation techniques can help you take the focus off the pain.
- Applying heat and cold alternately loosens swollen joints and dulls the pain sensations.
- Tai Chi has proven to be most beneficial for people suffering from RA. The stretches, gentle movements and deep breathing are helpful as long as they don’t cause pain.
- Fish oil may reduce the extent of inflammation you experience.
Visit our NYC pain management specialists to determine the best treatment for your rheumatoid arthritis.
Get the Diagnosis, Treatment, and Pain Relief You Need
Your NYC rheumatoid arthritis pain management doctor’s goal is to get you back to your normal routine with minimal downtime. After your diagnosis is confirmed, your doctor begins your neck pain management and treatment plan with the most conservative pain relief treatment. You’ll always receive non-invasive pain relief before your doctor turns to more invasive procedures like surgery.
Do you have questions about arthritis pain management options in NYC? Would you like to schedule an appointment with the best arthritis doctor, pain management specialist of NYC Pain and Sports Associates? Please contact our state of the art neck pain relief center in Midtown, New York City for the latest treatment for arthritis pain.
Manhattan Pain and Sports Associates
51 East 25th St, 4th Floor, Ste B
New York, NY 10010